Book Review THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR



This book was fabulous. I am giving The Thousandth Floor by Katharine
McGee 5 out of 5 stars because I looooved it! The Thousandth Floor takes place 100 years
in the future, inside an apartment building that's 1000 floors high. The higher up the floors go, the more elaborate,
and rich, and big, and amazing it is. So if you live up in the high floors, like
I would say probably like 700 and higher, um, or 800 and higher, the floors have like,
streets instead of hallways.

They have trees, and simulated sunlight, and
stores, and restaurants, and gyms, and arcades, and schools, and parks! All that great stuff. It's basically like the outside, except it's
inside. It's basically its own city inside this crazy
big apartment. And the lower floor apartments are just regular,
crappy apartments with hallways and nothing special.

The beginning of the story, the very first
page, basically, someone falls off the roof of the building. So they fall off of the thousandth floor. And die. Obviously.

And then the story starts two months earlier,
leading up to that incident. So you're like: "who was it!? Who's gonna die!? Who's gonna fall off the roof!? Is someone gonna jump? Is someone gonna push them? Oh my god!" So the story follows five people. It follows Eris, Avery, and Leda, who are
all friends who live in the very high floors. Avery lives in the penthouse in the thousandth
floor, and Leda lives on like floor 800 and something I think,
and Eris used to live on the 900th floor and has just at the beginning, close to the beginning
of the story moves down to the 100th floor with her mom.

And then it also follows Rylin and Watt who
live on the lower floors. I think Watt lives on the 100th floor or the
80th floor or something, I forget. And Rylin lives on like the 30th floor or
something. So it follows all of these characters with
their stories.

They all basically intertwine. There's drama. There's secrets. There's lies! There's scandals! There's so much! And it's fabulous! It's told in the third person, but each character
gets their own chapters, so it kind of just recounts each character's point of view, I
guess from different situations.

Aaannnd it's really good. I feel like not much happened in the story. Because it was following five different people. But because it was following five different
people, the fact that not much happened didn't really...
It wasn't slow or anything.

Like, not much happened but there was still
a lot happening... There was still lots of information you are
finding out about, there's still lots of secrets and lies coming about. And people, different people finding out about
them, and people almost finding out about them and then like: "ah!" My favourite characters were Rylin and Watt
and Cord. Cord was not a main character.

He was just a side character, but I loved
him so much. He was fabulous. And I thought Watt's character was really
interesting and I also really liked Rylin. An interesting thing that I liked about the
story was that they have contacts that they use for their social media and their phones,
basically.

So they can text and make phone calls and
post pictures and all that kind of stuff with their contacts. Which is awesome. But that's not just a futuristic thing, that's
also a rich thing. Regular people, like Rylin, for example, still
have regular phones.

It's a tablet, I guess just because it does
all the things, like the social media stuff and everything like that too, but also works
like a phone. I guess, but they called it a tablet in this,
but whatever. The other thing that I liked about it was,
now, because it follows different people from the different social structures, I guess,
in the apartment, and one person who used to be rich and now is not,
and that because it's like different floors that really separate you, like you'll go to
a different school 'cause you'll go to a school that's on lower floors,
so it's really noticeable sometimes if you are showing up in a higher floor and you're
not from that higher floor or whatever, so there's a lot of like, social like, hierarchy,
separating stuff, I guess, going on. But, what I really liked about it was that
some of the characters saw past that, but not only did some characters see past that
and say: "oh I don't care that you don't have money! It doesn't bother me!" There was one character in particular who
didn't...

It wasn't an issue that occurred to this person to even bring up. Like it was just: "I like this person." There you go. Which I really liked that about it. Like there was never a conversation about
like, "Oh I'm rich and you're not." There were a few things that came up where
like: "Oh you've never tried this!?" Because this person's not rich
and they can't afford that.

But it wasn't like: "Oh right, you can't because
you can't afford it." It was just like: "What!? They're great, try it!" I hope that makes sense. But I really liked that about it. Also if you are looking for like, books with
like, diversity and stuff, there is a bisexual character in this and there is also a character from Iran (pronounces it two different ways. ??) What I really liked actually about the bisexual character is that it wasn't like a...
It wasn't something that drove the story, it just...

She just happened to be bisexual. She had a relationship with a boy in the beginning
and then she had a relationship with a girl. Great! It was... Frig, it was really good.

It was... The drama, and the secrets, and scandals were
fabulous. When I was explaining it to my boyfriend I
stopped halfway through and I was like: "oh my god this sounds like a bad soap opera!" But it's so good! So I guess if you're not one who is a big
fan of the drama and the secrets and the over the top stuff like that,
then maybe this isn't the book for you, but I thought it was good. I also, just getting closer towards the end
when you knew it was getting closer to the point where the person was gonna fall off
the roof, or be pushed off the roof, or jump off the
roof, it was really intense and I was like: "oh
my god! How's it gonna happen!? Who's is gonna be!? Oh my god!" So it was great.

And then it happened. And I'm obviously not gonna tell you who it
was. Buuuut... Uh, let's just say in the second
book...

Sh*t's goin' down!.

Book Review THE THOUSANDTH FLOOR

Comments

Popular Posts