Brighton Rock (book review)



Hello it is Reviewsday Tuesday, It is time for another Quiet as Mouse Book Club
video And today I am reviewing Brighton Rock by
Graham Greene. This book was originally published in 1938
and it is set in 1930s Brighton. In the first chapter we meet Hale, Who is murdered by a gang led by Pinkie. Pinkie is very young and he is often just
called The Boy.

And then the rest of the book deals with the
aftermath of this, Pinkies attempts to cover his tracks, Which is complicated by the fact that Ida Arnold,
who met Hale on the day he died, Is determined to find out what happened to
him Because it is the right thing to do. This is a very entertaining and exciting book, There is a lot going on. There is a whole mystery element, Ida's side of the story, There is Pinkies journey, there is the conflict between two rival gangs. There is Pinkies relationship with Rose, the young girl who knows more than she should, There is a whole Catholicism element, Pinkie and Rose are both Catholics, And they are often concerned, Rose especially,
with good and evil, and mortal sin.

And this is a nice contrast with Ida, who
isnt religious at all And she is concerned with whats right and
wrong. There is a lot going on. It is beautifully written, there is a lot of imagery I found it quite poetic at times. There are some wonderful characters I love it when I meet a character I have never
met before in fiction And I have never met a Pinkie Brown before.

I found I was continually being surprised
by him, his actions and his thoughts And Ida as well. Ida is a pretty fascinating character And I think she is very interesting for her
time. She is a middle aged independent woman, Very modern and determined, moral All of the characters are interesting and
layered Rose, Dallow, Cubitt, Spicer. It is set in Brighton which I have already
mentioned And the title kind of suggests that as well But Brighton is a character in the novel I have spent quite a bit of time in Brighton
over the years And I can really see parts of the Brighton
I know, Even though obviously the time is different But the Pier, and the beach, and the walk
from the station to the sea And all the people coming up from London on
the weekends and bank holidays And I found it interesting to read about it
in that period You can really see Brighton very clearly in
this book.

That actually ended up being one of my favourite
things about the book That I have been to Brighton and I could feel that connection It makes it more real But having said that, I am sure you can enjoy the book if you dont know Brighton It might be quite obvious that I enjoyed this
book quite a lot It was my cup of tea It kept me in suspense, I was surprised and interested And I want to watch the film now And also go back to Brighton. I will give Brighton Rock 4.1 Out of 5.0 So, the next books which I am going to review: On 30th June I will be reviewing Dune by Frank Herbert And then on 14th July I am going to review Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis Thats the plan. I would love to know what you think about
Brighton Rock if you have read the book. Do let me know in the comments below I dont know at the moment whether I am going to have a video up on Wednesday But I am planning on putting up a video on
Thursday So if I dont see you tomorrow I should
see you on Thursday.

I hope you have a great day, and see you soon!.

Brighton Rock (book review)

Comments

Popular Posts