March book 1 & 2 by John LewisGraphic Novel Review

March book 1 & 2 by John LewisGraphic Novel Review

Hi everyone. I'm Rincey and this is Rincey
Reads. Today I want to talk to you guys about the graphic novels March books one and book
two by Congressman John Lewis, as well as Andrew Aiden and Nate Powell. This is actually
a graphic memoir.

And if you guys aren't aware, John Lewis is considered one of the "big six"
of the Civil Rights leaders. He was the chair, I believe, of SNCC, which was the Student
Nonviolent something Committee. [Laughs] I. Forgot what that first C stands for.

But they
were basically like the student nonviolent organization. This story mainly takes place during the Civil
Rights Movement. The first book actually does something really interesting, which I wasn't
expecting, and it actually flashes back and forth between when President Obama was first
inaugurated as well as Congressman Lewis' younger life, which I thought was really interesting
and a really smart contrast to make between that moment in history and this moment in
history. I think for a lot of people in the United
States we know about the Civil Rights Movement because we all learn about it in school.

But
what I really like about this is not only was John Lewis there during that time, he's
one of the only leaders left from that period who's still alive. And he's one of the few
people who can provide still like this first hand experience and firsthand account of what
was happening during that time period. He talks about what's sort of known in the popular
media and then provides a little bit more background on those, uh, stories or those
photographs we may have seen or the things that we may have heard about. Both of these graphic novels are completely
in black and white and the art style is really well done, at least in my opinion.

Um. They're
mostly just panels like this. Occasionally you have the full page spread like this. And
occasionally you have the full double-page spread like this.

I really, really enjoyed both of these. I
think not only because I'm interested in the subject matter, but also just because I love
when you get to see sort of more behind the scenes type stuff about things that we learn
about when you're younger. This book is very, very honest. Like John
Lewis is not afraid to be real about the situations.

Um. He's also very honest about himself and
his own perspective on things. He talks about his own biases and just like why he was motivated
to feel a certain way compared to how other people may have felt during that time period,
which I really liked. I think these books go better together.

There's
going to be a third book and it's going to be a trilogy. So, um, both books end in sort
of like the middle of the story. So I feel like reading both of these together was really
helpful because I think if I just read one book at a time I'd feel unsatisfied because
you're not really getting the complete story. But I think reading one and two together,
I felt more satisfied.

And I think once you have all three it probably would work best,
just reading them back to back to back. But that's not to say you should necessarily wait
on this. If you haven't already put this on your list, definitely put it on your list.
Because I think it's a very important time in history that we have a very, um, surface
level knowledge of and I feel like this helps provide a little bit deeper knowledge about
it. Also just the fact that it's in graphic novel form, it's much more digestible.

But
I think it also makes the situations more real because you're seeing the situations
play out. You're seeing like the faces and the reactions and things like that. So if
you are someone who likes graphic novels or especially if you like graphic memoirs, this
is definitely some that you have to pick up because it is just very, very emotional during
certain points and I think it's just so honest and so real that it's like how can you not
like this. And also if you're someone who's interested in African American history or
you have a general interesting in American history, this is a great way to get that across.
This is also would be great for like kids, I think.

So yeah, that is my quick review on March
the graphic novel. I would definitely be picking up volume 3 whenever it comes out. I'm not
exactly sure when that's supposed to be. And I definitely recommend it for people as well.
If you've read this series, feel free to leave a comment down below letting me know what
you guys thought of it.

Or if you have any questions on the series, feel free to leave
that down in the comments section as well. So yeah, that's all I have for now and thanks
for watching..

Comments

Popular Posts